Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Two Steps Forward, One Step Back

Charlie's birthday is in two days, so I decided to finally actually POST this post that I wrote last week and for some reason never posted. If I start off "Birthday Season" already behind on the blog, it may be something I(or actually just the blog)will never recover from! So, this first week of school went something like this:

August 25, 2011

We took two steps forward yesterday and got all five school-aged children off to school on time to three different locations! It took much planning and no fewer than five alarm clocks (seriously), but we managed it.



Joe left for middle school (I am still refusing to call it Junior High) before we could get a picture. Needless to say, our summer {non} schedule combined with my RA symptoms make mornings tough around here. My kids asked the other day if I would ever be out of bed and make them breakfast without them having to come and get/drag me out of bed. Why aren't I like the mom's on TV? You know the ones who have breakfast waiting and ready and wake their children with a happy song every morning? (I actually kind of had a mom like that, so it made it hard for me to tell them that those kind of moms aren't real). Seriously, all my sibs out there, our mom was like that, right? Or am I mis-remembering it?

Anyway, John made it through his first day of pre-kindergarten and was home only five minutes before he had changed into his Darth Maul costume. He was home only fifteen minutes before I found him like this: This is on the landing of our stairs....I don't know what happened...it appears that he litterally fell aspleep while walking up the stairs.




This morning, reality set in a bit more....no one was quite as anxious to get out the door. In fact, Charlie didn't make it there until after lunch. He was just too nervous to go - according to him. That's where the one step backwards comes in. I just had to wait him out...make it more boring at home than it could possibly at school. He finally cracked around eleven and made it in.

The novelty hadn't worn off for John though...in fact he climbed on the bus all by himself this morning without a second look back. I of course tailed the bus all the way to his elementary school (not the same one where Maggie, Harry & Charlie go, because, you know, that would just be too easy) and anxiously waited for him at the school. He looked at me like I was crazy when he saw me at the school. Is it crazy that I want my pre-kindergartner to have a cell phone and text me when he's arrived safely at school? Because I'm seriously considering it. It seems the older I get, the more anxious I become....or maybe it's because he's FOUR!

FOUR!

Who lets their four year old ride the bus to school without even an older brother or sister to help? The jury is still out on this one. I guess only time will tell. Maybe I'll just follow the bus everyday. But that seems kind of dumb.

Big sigh.



And what have I been keeping myself busy with? Yeah, you guessed it. Cupcakes. I guess I should be glad...there's just something about the everyday nature of it that wears on me. And every time I do another wedding I say to myself, "self, you should stop doing this...you don't really make any money and you just drive yourself and everybody around you crazy with your crazy anxiety". But then, I go to the venue and set everything up, and that part is fun..the energy at most weddings is pretty fun. So, again, big sigh, I guess we'll just have to wait and see on this one. After my last post about the Cold Stone corporates coming to check out the cupcakes, I feel it's only right to tell all you that they postponed their trip up to SLO (for other reasons they say). So, for any of you out there who keep going to your local Cold Stone Creamery looking for the On A Lark Cupcake Shoppe, I guess you may have to wait a little bit longer...or you may just have to make a trip to SLO - that might be more fun, and I can almost guarantee faster.

I myself am taking a little trip. Next week marks my 35th birthday.

GASP

"Why does this keep happening to us?!?, I thought we had a deal!"

Extra points if you know what TV show that's from and who said it. But you'd have to be almost as old as me to know it, so, you know, that's pretty old.

I'll be taking advantage of airline miles and a still unemployed husband (not complaining...seriously I don't know how I'd get the kids to school every day if he was going to work) and taking a few days up in Oregon with my parents and sisters...sans kids...at least of my own.

Now, time to get back to work...there are presents to be bought, and presents to be sewn (kind of in over my head on this one, but hopefully it will work out), back to school nights at three schools to attend, and a trip to get ready for. Battle on Girls, Battle on. (Triple points if you know what tv show that one comes from)

3 comments:

Alyssa Lark said...

1. Yes, we had a mom like that. I can remember her singing that song to wake us up and making us warm grapenuts or something like that.

2. George from seinfeld.... You're not that old. I've seen every episode.

3. I don't know that triple pointer.

4. So excited to see you!

Annee said...

Yeah, Darin says your mom was like that. Whatever. I love her dearly, but why did she have to be like that?!

I don't have any RA symptoms to blame my morning crankiness on. And my children will likewise never know a mother who wakes with a song, is smiling in the kitchen, NOT because they had to drag her out of bed and beg for breakfast. It's just too much. But to make up for it, I'm usually smiling in the kitchen when they get home from school. That counts for something right?!

That wedding set-up looks beautiful.

Happy 35th. I'm not that far behind you. Have a great time up in Oregon. Sounds fun!! Take care.

P.S. I still think you are totally young.

Team Clark said...

Wait-so if Seinfeld is the first one (and I only know that from alyssa's comment...), what is the second one? I'm glad you're surviving school so far and I hope you enjoy your tome in Oregon!
Miss you!