Tuesday, May 20, 2008

The Liahona

Today, Harry spent a good portion of the day trying to figure out how he could get his hands on the Liahona. (For anyone wondering, we recently inherited the entire set of Living Scripture Videos...thus the preocupation with all things Book of Mormon)

Anyway, on the way to school he asked if maybe I could bring it back with me from Utah when I went next week. When I explained that that probably wouldn't be an option, he suggested that "maybe you could ask the Lord to give it to me as a gift when I get baptized." I said, sure, I could ask for him, but maybe it would help for him to ask too.

Later in the day, he decided that a replica Liahona might suffice until he could get the ACTUAL Liahona. And so, tired of hearing about it, and knowing that I wouldn't stop hearing about it until he had one, we got in the car and headed off to Michaels for some supplies. He had gone through lots of options, and about a half an hour, and had about $20-25 worth of Liahona making supplies in our cart, when a voice came over the loud speaker at Michaels. It announced that there was a possible fire in the building and could we all please leave our purchases where they were and evacuate the building. On the way out, much to Harry's delight, we saw two firefighters on their way in. AND, they were actually carrying axes! It was just about the best thing Harry had ever witnessed. Telling the story to everyone at home was almost enough to make him forget about why we had actually gone to Michaels in the first place. ALMOST. So, as a last resort, I rifled through the Christmas decorations in the garage and pulled out a glittery golden bulb-type ornament. Shockingly to me, this seemed to fulfil the requirements of the Liahona (so glad I found this out before I spent the afore mentioned $25.00). He wrapped it in a dishcloth, packed it up in his Pirates of the Caribbean treasure chest, and was completely content for the entire evening. I was happy too, because he took me very seriously when I reminded him that the Liahona would only work if he was obedient.

As he was going to bed, I noticed that the glitter had rubbed off and was all over his face and chest. He looked and himself in the mirror, completely pleased, and said, "yeah, now I look like Moroni." I can already feel a costume headache coming on. :)



PS - here's the picture of Charlie as Indiana Jones...you can just see the look of satisfaction on his face because everyone thought it was so cool.

9 comments:

Alyssa Lark said...

ahh...charlie looks so cute. Good story...your kids are too funny

Annee said...

So he got crutches for his last birthday. I can't wait to see the liahona appear at his next birthday! You are a great mom!

Team Clark said...

Brooke, I love it. You must have such amazing moments of happiness with the things your kids come up with, I mean seriously! I love these stories of Harry - he's just so interesting.
Good for Charlie - what a fun costume!

Alyssa said...

did he love his liahona? the new one?

V and Co. said...

ahhh! wait when are you going to be in utah? and for how long because i'm going to slo to see kate and you on the week of the 8th...please tell me you are going to be around!!!

SLO Rober said...

They must write books about Harry. Or at least an article in the Friend magazine.

Taylor and Chelsea Cotter said...

update?

Alyssa said...

hey can you email some pictures you took of last weekend? thanks!

V and Co. said...

i had sooo much seeing you and catching up...