Sunday, May 18, 2008

The Mysteries of Blogging

This is what I don't get....the times when we are really busy and do really fun things (like having Grandma and Grandpa come for a visit, taking my nine year old to a Michael Buble concert, going on the Father Son Campout, etc...) I can't seem to find anything to blog about. I mean, these are the things I should be writing down, right?

So then I was thinking about what I do blog about...just the silly, daily, mundane things we do. And I thought, well, maybe that's right - maybe those are the things that need to be documented. I mean, the kids and I will always remember the vacations and the visits, but will we remember what it was actually like to live a day in our home? ( And on the flip side, do I really want them to remember some of it?) I can't say I remember that kind of stuff from my childhood.

So, for now, I'll stop feeling guilty about not documenting all those fun things, and focus on those little things, like Harry praying every night, saying, "Dear Heavenly Father, oh Please Heavenly Father, let me have a dream about Nephi", or Harry coming out of the bathroom in nothing but his little whitie tightie underwear, a toothbrush in one hand and a tube of hydrocordisone cream in the other and asking loudly, "what in the HELL is this stuff?" ( ala Dad, I have to admit).

Or, seeing the look on Charlie's face after dressing up like Indiana Jones and going to show his brothers, who were for once, so excited for him because he looked so cool.

Or changing my cell phone ring tone to the Indiana Jones theme song, and having my kids think I'm pretty dang cool when they hear it ring. "Wow, mom, cool ring tone" was Joe's comment.

These, and so many others are the things that make up the joys (and sometimes agonies) of living in our home, and I'm so glad I have the chance to be able to remember them. :)

6 comments:

Taylor and Chelsea Cotter said...

i love it. "what the hell is this stuff" haha. I can't wait to hear your ringtone and then tell you how cool you are.

Annee said...

Can you tell me more about the dress you are making. I'm wanting to make some for Jane and Ruby. If you've made three already, maybe it's not too hard? Fill me in when you get a chance.

I may blog more frequently than you, but I haven't sewn three dresses either!

Brooke said...

Annee-
The dresses I've been making are acutally for me :) I've been going a bit crazy. But, I really love Simplicity 4292 for dresses for Maggie. I've made her about 6 of them. It's just a straight, sleeveless dress with no zipper. It has a little flounce at the bottom, and sometimes I add a coordinating tie at the waist. She's wearing it in our Easter picture if you want to take a look.
So, when are you guys coming to California? Do you think we might come down and see your for a day or two before you're off around the world?

Brooke said...

Annee - here is a link to the pattern on ebay...I couldn't find it on Simplicity's website

http://cgi.ebay.com/SIMPLICITY-PATTERN-4292-CHILDS-DRESS-TOP-PANTS-COAT-BAG_W0QQitemZ170126500996QQihZ007QQcategoryZ3119QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247

V and Co. said...

it's official i wish we lived near eachother...*sigh* oh well i guess seeing you soon will have to do. while i'm there will you show me the dresses you've been making...i REALLY (it almost hurts how much) want to learn...if only i had my cool friend brooke to teach me! as for the "hell" kyle's been saying "damnit" all day today...hmmm and i can't blame jake for that one.

Annee said...

Thanks Brooke. I will take the pattern and some fabric to keep me busy and not homesick when I first move to Korea. Nothing like a project to keep you feeling happy. We will be in L.A. June 3-15 (at least). It is still unclear when we are actually going to fly off to Korea. So there is definately time to see you guys. We would love it if you wanted to come down to L.A. Let's be in touch.