Friday, September 19, 2008

Soccer, Biking and Hill Rolling

Well, we've finally settled into the routine that is Fall (school, soccer, piano, cub scouts, homework, seminary, etc..). Each day for me begins with a prayer and a deep breath, as we set out to do all we have to do. I find as busy as I am, I actually enjoy the routine that this time of year brings...Here is a sampling of what we've been up to...

We celebrated my 32nd birthday (sans cake thanks to the diabetes). I realized that I've spent 5 of my last 10 birthdays pregnant, and a 6th bringing a new baby home from the hospital. I think that's a pretty good accomplishment, and at the same time, feels like a good time to end the era. A decade of having babies seems to be enough!

Harry started his first year of soccer. He's the only one this year who wanted to play, and with everything else we've got going on, I decided not to push it. He had his first game last Saturday and really enjoyed it. It's fun to sit and watch him on the field, a huge grin almost always on his face. Here is an action shot of him kicking the ball.If we get homework and piano done before dinner, I've been taking the kids on a nightly bike ride while Joe does the dishes. I find this really helps with my blood sugar, and the kids love it. I borrowed a friend's bike trailer and tow around Charlie and John while the three older ride behind me. (Because, you know, I didn't think I was looking quite crazy enough in my neighborhood just being the lady pregnant with her sixth child....I think the pregnant lady riding the bike, towing two children and leading three others looks much more appropriately crazy :)) Invariably on these rides we end up at the local park, where I introduced the children to a favorite activity of my childhood - HILL ROLLING. This is great...I sit at the top of the hill and they lay on their backs with their arms crossed. I give them a gentle push and off they roll. By how much they enjoy this, you would have thought I took them to Disneyland....they roll to the bottom and then come running back for more. This is a total win/win situation for me, as I SIT at the top, and they ROLL and RUN all their energy out before bed. I wish I could have gotten my camera to focus better, but I think you can still appreciate the joy they seem to find in this activity!


That's about it for us....we hope you're all enjoying your Fall as much as we are ours!




5 comments:

Taylor and Chelsea Cotter said...

The picture of all your kids running full speed down the hill is great! It made me laugh :). Sounds like you're having a great time.

brundage said...

I love reading about you and your family. What joy you all must have. Love Aunt Liz

Annee said...

A decade of child bearing is a remarkable accomplishment. And they all turned out so completely adorable!

Happy Belated birthday. I hope you will eat cake in honor, as soon as the pregnancy is over!

joeandcarole said...

We love your "Fall" in a nutshell!
Your decade of child rearing has been greatly appreciated by us. Thanks so much for letting us enjoy the benefits of those 10 years. We do adore your children and the time we're able to spend with them, in case you didn't know that!
They are each so special and unique.
What can I say...we adore them!
Harry, you are doing so great at soccer...super Blue Laser!
And, they all look like they are having such fun rolling down the hill.
Happy fall days!
Love,
Grandma & Grandpa B

Team Clark said...

Wow, I'm impressed that you're riding a bike, AND towing two children behind it, all the while being pregnant. I think you are super woman.