Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Happy Halloween, Going Green with John and some Star Wars Catch-Up

Halloween weekend kind of hit us like a tornado this year. Friday the 30th was "Teacher Work Day", so the kids were all home. I started the weekend off bravely by taking all six children to the pediatrician's office with me for Jack's 9 month appointment. I could have gotten a babysitter, but I had an ulterior motive in taking them all with me. I was hoping they'd take pity on me and give them all the H1N1 vaccine while I was there. Well, it only took two hours, but we were successful in getting the mist vaccine for the five oldest. I know there is some controversy concerning this vaccine, but with an infant at home, I just couldn't see not getting them for the older children. I tell you what though....it was exhausting taking all six with me to the doctors office. Not to mention all the looks and questions I got while there. We had a big pep talk before we went in, and everyone did pretty well, but it's still weird to see people actually counting you as you walk somewhere. And people are never shy to ask me, "are these ALL yours?" I've gotten some pretty rude comments over the years, but mostly, I try to put a positive spin on it. And my kids try extra hard when we're out in public to make us not look like crazy people. I give them credit for that, and I think it teaches them a lot about teamwork and personal responsibility. Anyway, I'll stop on that tangent.

After we were all properly vaccinated, it was time to let the weekend party begin. We spent the afternoon at the Pumpkin Patch, and the evening finishing up our costumes and making last minute adjustments.

Here are the kids at Trunk or Treat....If you can't tell, I'll translate...
Joe: Peewee Reese (an original Brooklyn Dodger...he's been really into 1930's baseball lately.

Maggie: Dorothy - and yes, she is wearing her baptism dress under her pinafore. (sorry mom). It felt a bit sacrilegious, but I just couldn't seen making another entire white dress when we had a perfectly good one just sitting in the closet. The crux of the costume for her was the wig. She saw it at the Halloween store and decided to be Dorothy just so she could get the wig.

Harry: A Lego Brick - I think he looked great...we saw it on Family Fun and thought it was appropriate for Harry. We worked hard to make it (jig saw involved). He thought it was great and was really happy until a little girl (who wasn't trying to be unkind - she's one of Harry's good friends) asked him if he was a muffin tin. Then he got self-conscious and wanted to take it off. It made me sad to see him so affected by what one other person thought. Lots of people told him how cool he looked, but he just couldn't get past the muffin tin comment. Who has red muffin tins anyway?

Charlie: Luigi - This is the second year for him as Luigi, and I was SO grateful he wanted to be him again...one less costume to make, and I think he makes a very debonair Mario Brother.

John: A garbage can - this one was obviously the most original. He at first wanted to be Oscar the Grouch, but I knew enough about little boys to know that he wouldn't tolerate being painted green, so we compromised with this costume. First I painted the trash can silver, but he looked much to much like a robot. Then we did it black, and Charlie still thought he looked like a bullet from the Mario Brothers games, but we decided it was the best option. He had so much fun and looked so cute with his little legs toddling around.

Jack: Baby Mario - there was much debate over this costume. Since he couldn't pick, everyone else wanted to choose for him. We considered him being an apple (get it, Apple Jack?), and Maggie wanted him to be the Tin Man as an accessory to her costume, but I've done costumes enough for crawling babies to know that it had to be functional too. So, we settled on Mario. It's very fitting actually, since he looks so much like Charlie.





The rest of the pictures are ones we took on Halloween night when we trick or treated at our friend's, the Robers house. We had a great time...thanks for inviting us!










With Halloween over, we had to turn immediately around and gear up for John's third birthday. We decided to Go Green for this big day. He was super excited for the big day and really enjoyed his new garbage truck and car wash toy (his two favorite things). We made a garbage truck cake and had our friends over for dinner.









Sometime late Friday afternoon, I got the idea that it would be fun to make a replica car wash for John to play with on his birthday. (Because you know, I just didn't really have enough to do). So, after a quick trip to Home Depot for some PVC pipe, the kids and I fashioned this crude car wash. We used plastic table cloths and swimming noodles for the brushes and rollers, set up a bubble machine for the soap, and turned on the "Car Wash" song for added ambiance. John had a great time all afternoon driving his ride-on Tow-Mater and Lightening McQueen cars through his car wash.



It was a long day, and a nap was required late in the day - sitting up at the counter in his garbage man costume.




Finally, some Star Wars Catch Up... last month Joe took JoeIV and Harry down to LA for a Star Wars Concert. I don't know exactly what it entailed, but there was a live orchestra playing music from the movies, set to scenes from the movies up on giant screen. A laser show was also part of the extravaganza. Before the show, there was an exhibit set up in the lobby where the boys could look at real costumes from the movies. Harry even got to try on the X-Wing Pilot's helmet. They had a great time, and it was fun for they boys to spend some time together.












Well, that's the longest post ever...but that's the way it goes sometimes...nothing happens around here for days, and then BAM, everything hits at once. I'm just taking it one day at a time and trying to keep up and enjoy these children. People PROMISE me that this is the best time of my life, and before I know it, they'll all be gone and living their own lives. Some days, that promise is the only thing getting me through the day - knowing that they'll all be gone someday! Most days though, I just try to relax and breathe deep and count my blessings.

Happy November!

5 comments:

Alyssa Lark said...

i love your kids.... they are so cute and fun. And tell harry to tell that girl to eat rocks. :) And is joe really that tall? He looks taller than you in that first picture.

Clint and Gillian said...

Those pictures are awesome...you are such a great mom to make all those costumes! They are so unique (I love the garbage can and Harry's Lego block!! So cute!) And about people counting your kids...my mom got that ALL the time, it just became second nature to us. You are doing a fantastic job raising those kids Brooke!

Valerie said...

I just have to say that I actually do have red muffin tins- the silicone ones. But I don't think he looks like that at all- wouldn't have even crossed my mind! You did an awesome job and everyone looks great! I am commiting myself to do better next year! Thanks for the good wishes, by the way- Emma and Kyle are actually doing great and it's only a matter of time before everything else works itself out. Stay sane!

earnestendeavors said...

You are amazing! Your kids look great for Halloween and following that up with such a great birthday...I just couldn't do it. I got through making 3 costumes and left the other two to their own devices - Jonas and Lauren. Harry looks like the perfect lego block to me.

Joe's face in the Star Wars pictures looks like many faces I get from Sam when I take out the camera - the 'I'll stand here but I don't want to' face!

Annee said...

awesome. I love it all. The costumes were amazing. The birthday party?! You're super human. But your last paragraph was what I needed to hear. You know how sometimes we imagine being a mom is so much easier for everyone else. Like if someone else had my job, they'd be doing it 1000 times better than me, etc, etc. It's good to know that I'm not the only one trying to live in the moment, but likewise dreaming of the promise that someday they will all GROW UP and MOVE ON. I'll miss them, but it's intense at times. Right?!