Sunday, January 17, 2010

A Transformation

Sometimes, my older children get a bit ignored on my blog. The things they do and say aren't "cute" in the way the little ones are. But this week I witnessed a milestone in the life of my eldest, and feel it is necessary to commemorate it.

Joe started to play basketball last year. He's a tall boy, and has that advantage...he's also left handed, so he's got that in his corner. What does he not have in his favor?

HIS PARENTS

We are not exactly athletic or competitive people. I can remember countless times in Junior high and High school gym, just hoping that the hour would pass before I had to touch the ball or be depended on to help my team in some way, no matter what the sport. I don't know a whole lot about my husband's athletic prowess in his early years, but I DO know he was in the band. So, there's that.

At any rate, Joe seemed to enjoy the game of basketball...both playing and watching. He's a very analytical boy and would spend hours with his dad, dissecting the Laker's moves and analyzing their plays. But his time on the court was at first a bit...well...it was painful. At least for me to watch. I would cringe as I watched his skinny arms try to dribble the ball, or his lanky legs run the length of the court. I'm sure like many parents have felt, it was just hard to watch.

He had a good year last year, and picked up a lot of skills. He worked hard and practiced often. He went to a camp over the summer and continued to improve his game. He also grew a couple of inches and came into his gangly body a bit more. And, lo and behold, it's true....practice really does help! He got better...I was able to watch without cringing...I started to relax and even enjoy watching him play.

His team this year practices on Friday nights. Maggie and I dropped him off last week and continued on downtown for some errands. We finished up early, stopped at Cold Stone for a quart of ice cream and two spoons (our new favorite...Cheesecake ice cream with Raspberries and Graham Cracker Pie crust mixed in) and headed back to the gym to watch his last fifteen minutes of practice. As I sat there on the steps of the stage, eating my ice cream from the carton, I saw a completely transformed young man. Gone was my skinny, gangly, uncoordinated child. In his place, I saw a young man making definite strides toward becoming an excellent basketball player. He can dribble, he can do lay-ups, he can play defense and make free throws. The other kids on the team pass to him...he makes baskets! As I watched, I remembered all that time in gym class, when I was just waiting for the time to end, and I kind of wished I had practiced a bit more, and tried to learn how to enjoy the camaraderie of a team sport....being dependant on others and depending on others too. What excellent life experience a team sport can be!
So, while I never learned to enjoy it myself, I'm so happy that this boy, I mean this young man, has learned about the joy of being out on the court...just running and shooting and most importantly having fun.

Here are a few shots of him last week when his team played during the Cal Poly Men's Basketball half-time.

Watching his team....showing his concern....


Running back up court...



Playing defense....


And finally, getting a shot off. I'm not sure if he made it, but I do know he had a great time trying!

7 comments:

Grandpa Steve said...

Way to go Joe...

earnestendeavors said...

Nice job, Joe. Sam just started playing stake bball - having never played before. I cringe a lot...maybe Joe can teach Sam a thing or two!

Valerie said...

Hey, are you ripping on band people? I resemble that remark.

I enjoyed this post. I really look forward to seeing my kids grow up and develop interests of their own. Even if it's cringe-worthy for awhile.

One Tired Mama said...

Oh, I long to go back to the days of cringing and having fun during basketball games! Just this Saturday, Nick's game got so intense, I had to walk out ... couldn't watch it. Returned in the fourth quarter and paced back and forth until we finally won by only 2 points! Be sure to enjoy while you can!

joeandcarole said...

Yea for Joe! You are a really great basketball player! Doing better every week! We love coming to your games and your practices. Thanks for sharing that time with us.
I do have to say that even though "My Joe" was in the band at school, he was super involved with the Stake bball program...Joe III and his friends were extremely competitive. And...they had fun!

Team Clark said...

Oh, I'm so proud of him. That's a great story, Brooke. And I'm sure we'll hear more and more success stories as the years go on - your kids are all so talented!
PS I had a hard time reading the blue writing on the pink background...just so you know... :)

Joe and Monica DuPaix said...

I love that story! Your little Joe is so great. Good job Joe! TJ will always cherish their friendship! TJ still has a framed picture of both of them in their scout shirts--and it is front and center on his desk.