Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Sickness and Steroids

My two littlest boys have been sick this week...that's John and Jack for those of you who are counting on your fingers right now. They've just kind of had that yucky cough, runny nose, fever kind of thing that every kid gets. I was thinking this morning that if they had been my first two children....that's Joe and Maggie for those of you again...it would have been the kind of sickness that brought my world to a grinding halt. I would have been whining and complaining about how sick they are, and how they don't sleep, and how they're so cranky, and blah, blah, blah. And I'm not saying that's bad...you SHOULD whine and complain about sick kids when you have two kids and both of them are sick.That's 100% of your kids. But when you have six kids and two of them are sick, and that's not even half of them, I find that life moves on and I don't have time to whine and complain, and somehow, they still got better. Without my whining and complaining. Amazing.

Isn't my outlook refreshing?

Or, maybe it's just the steroids I'm taking.

Wait, WHAT?

My rhemetologist started me on a short course of steroids to help my joint pain. I finally had to stop taking the other stuff that was helping me because it made me so upset to my stomach that I couldn't eat anything. So, we're trying this. I asked the doctor, "do I need to worry about any side effects with a short course like this?" He said, (pausing and tilting his head) "Well, you might find you have a little extra energy for the first little bit."

Um, yeah.

So, sick kids are nothing. I'm back to painting and sewing and moving furniture just like I did in my old life. I know it won't last forever, but it's sure nice to feel "normal" again for a while.

It's raining again today...but that's okay....I still have two days left on my steroids...I'm sure I'll find something to do.

P.S.: Really, it should be a practice of all pediatricians to give the mother a round of steriods with every antibiotic they give to the child. And, what does it say about me that steroids are what it takes to make me feel "normal?" Maybe I'd better ponder on that for a bit....

5 comments:

Annee said...

And you're up at the crack of dawn with a blog post that is an hour old! Maybe I should get on those steroids!

I hope everyone (including you) starts to get better soon.

And truly a refreshing perspective. No need to let two kids get you down, not when there are four other healthy ones. That's crazy, by the way.

Taylor and Chelsea Cotter said...

ooo. im glad they seem to be working for you brooke! thats very exciting!

Valerie said...

Glad you're getting some relief... hope it continues.

This post made me laugh...which I needed today.

V and Co. said...

i'd be a little more nervous if you said "vodka is all i need to feel normal." or even better "who knew that all it would take is Valium to make me feel normal."

i wish i was there so we can have an all nighter and go to eachother's houses and paint and sew the crap out of them. ;)-V

Team Clark said...

Energy! Hooray. I'm jealous. Get me some of those steroids!
But seriously - what happens after the steroid treatment is over?