Tuesday, April 20, 2010

What Would You Do With An Extra Week?

So I totally screwed up. But, in a good way this time. You see, I was thinking I was speaking at Friday Forum THIS Friday. But I'm not. I'm speaking NEXT Friday. And, I was thinking I only had two weeks until my Mother's Day Retreat to Oregon. But I don't have two weeks...I have three!

For some reason, I completely got ahead of myself this month and didn't realize how much time I had left int it. I had a mental deadline for a few projects to be done by the end of the month, and I had promised myself I wouldn't work on any other "fun" things until I got the "had-to" projects done. But then I realized my mistake, and I had already finished all the "had-to" projects, so I got to move onto some of the fun stuff. So what did I do with my extra week?

Got obsessed with bubblegum, of course.

I set a goal for myself at the begining of this year to decorate my home a bit for each of the more "seasonal" holidays....you know...Valentines Day, Easter,etc.(I know, it's a totally useless goal...I should have decided to read my scriptures more, or have more love and peace in my home, or something really worthwile - but this has just been fun...and we've needed a bit of that around here) And, for Valentines Day and Easter, I did it. But then Easter was over and I was kind of at a loss...how do you decorate for Memorial Day, or Mother's Day? Then, I got inspired, not by those holidays, but by the toy bubblegum machine that's been sitting in my house for years. Maybe I went a little overboard, but it's been fun. I don't know why. Maybe it's becuase my husband HATES gum. Seriously, he hates it. He hates how it smells, how it gets stuck to everything, how people look when they chew it, everything about it. I can only chew gum when not in his presense, and my kids only get it when they're with their grandma. So, me bringing home two giant bins of gumballs to use in my decorating was not at the top of his list of favorite things I've done. But it just says "FUN" to me. And, while no one is allowed to actually chew the stuf, we're sure having fun looking at it!




P.S. - Keep the Mother's Day comments coming....you're doing great, and I'm getting some good stuff. Check out my friend Vanessa's blog and see what she wrote too...
www.vanessachristenson.com

And, my husband just sent me a link to this article. It was an absolutely lovely addition to my afternoon - even better than flowers....

6 comments:

melissa said...

your wreath stand looks great! love the bubblegum too... it does scream FUN! Enjoy your extra week :)

Valerie said...

I loved that article! Thanks for sharing it.
I also LOVE that pillow.

Kiwi said...

I love the fun decor. I'm amazed that your kids don't try eat all the colorful gum. It wouldn't last more than two minutes in front of my girls. Great article.

Annee said...

The pillow is delightful. A spare week is something I can only dream of. The article was great.

Good luck with it all!

V and Co. said...

lol...mental note made never to chew gum EVER around joe...CHECK!
your crafts are cute.
loving the pillow!

Team Clark said...

Hey - that little article is great. And I love your decorations. The pillow is especially cute and I love the red chair! Is that new?
I'm with Joe - I hate it, too. It must be a genetic thing - I don't think Nate likes it either.