Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Where To Begin

Two weeks ago, the For Sale sign was up at our Cold Stone Creamery. We were getting lots of calls from interested people. As Joe and I were chatting one night about the idea of selling, I mentioned to him that if we did sell the store, I wanted to bring the store's convection oven to my home to put in my garage. We used to use the oven at ColdStone to bake brownies, but now, even that small task has been outsourced to another supplier. So I became pretty excited about the possibility of baking over 10cupcakes at a time, or 7 dozen Christmas Cookies all in one quick swoop. Which got me to thinking....and thinking...and then eventually some thinking more in the area of graphic design. I started to see this picture come together in my mind..it looked something like this...



And now, two weeks later, we are no longer selling ColdStone, and we are now selling cupcakes. I retrofit the second stone at the store into something like a bakery window. I started baking cupcakes and making frosting, and so far, people are seeming to really like it. Unlike a lot of places, San Luis Obispo didn't have a cupcake shop, so we're filling a niche. But most of all, it's pretty fun. Even though it means me working in the store for a few hours every day, I'm having a really good time. Here is what our menu looks like right now:



We named the six Signature cupcakes after each of our children, and we'll be adding daily specials soon. Last night, I baked some yellow cupcakes with raspberries swirled in. With some cream cheese frosting, it's pretty yummy. I'll be sampling them out at Farmer's tonight, so if you're in town, come on down and get a treat!

8 comments:

April said...

Brooke we will have to stop in! Love cupcakes! Good ideas and hard work pays off! Best of luck, my favorite part the names of the cupcakes!

Alyssa Lark said...

I love all your children the same, but Johnny be Goodie sounds so good! And obliviously, I love the name of the shoppe!

Alyssa Lark said...

not oblivously, obviously... yeah.

Lindsay said...

How exciting for you!! Wish I lived near to come by for a visit.

joeandcarole said...

Your cupcakes are sooo delicious! I do love them all, but that raspberry with cream cheese sounds extra yummy! Can't wait to try it!
Love you...

Annee said...

Wow!! That sounds like so much work. But if it's fun and delicious work, it will be totally worth it. I love a good cupcake story! And maybe you know we have been on a cupcake sampling spree lately, so we will definitely come be customers the next time we're in town!

Valerie said...

Does that mean I'll see you Cupcake Wars soon? J/K- sounds delicious! Best of luck with your new endeavor.

Vanessa said...

Sounds like you've been a busy woman! I love this idea and hope we can come down and try some soon. I especially want to say thanks for being willing to make Gluten-free cupcakes. Erika has Celiace disease and loves cupcakes, but only gets to eat them if I make them(which isn't very often). When you start serving them let me know so I can bring her down for a treat.