Thursday, July 15, 2010

Not For Nothing



So my lousy bowl of fabric strawberries proved itself pretty useful today. John had gotten a Toy Story 3 paint by numbers set in the dollar section at Michaels, and then Maggie and Harry just had to join in. I'm working on a fabric covered canvas "quilt" of sorts for my stairway wall, and just happened to have some extra canvas boards lying about, so we were set. Except we didn't know what to paint...imagine, just a blank canvas in front of you with no idea of what to do!

Pretty good renderings I think... and John was pretty impressed with his own creation:


These pictures are for my mom to see that I really can relax and let the kids make a mess of things....



Just look at that counter filled with painting paraphernalia!


Maybe my laissez faire attitude of the day came from reading this article in New York Magazine this morning...(well to be honest, there was a story about the article on the Today show and I looked it up...I'm not really in the habit of reading new York Magazine or anything). The title is "All Joy and No Fun, Why Parents Hate Parenting". Here's the link if you're interested. Just kind of got me to thinking....parenting is obviously joyful, but how often does the happiness of it shine through....hopefully more often than not.

3 comments:

Austin and Jennifer said...

What a great idea! And you can post the pictures they painted you by the bowl. See, you accomplished a muse for your children to paint while they were away. Think of all that time it bought you while they were painting :)

Team Clark said...

That's great! You come up with such great ideas. And I think I'll look at that article hopefully sometime soon.
Miss you guys -
Amy

joeandcarole said...

Those pictures are beautiful...I've wondered about them, but with the way we pop in and out, I haven't had a chance to ask about them, or the bowl of strawberries! I guess we've just gotten used to seeing new, clever projects and decorations in your home!
Love you...