Monday, March 14, 2011

Are You Getting Bored Yet?

So, not much going on around here...it's still pretty much cupcakes all the time for me. So not so much time for the funny stories or cute pictures of the kiddos. Last week, Tiny Tigers had the theme, "Healthy Living" and they focused on eating right and exercising. John came home one day and insisted that he needed to go running to get some exercise. He proceeded to borrow his brother's sweat band, donned his crocs (the only shoes this little boys knows he owns) and set out around the block. He didn't make it very far before he tired. He came home a bit defeated, so I told him, "you can ride your bike around the block, that's exercise too." He was so excited to know that bike riding qualified as exercise! I was a little saddened that my four year old has had no steady example from either of his parents as to what exercise is. Oh well...he knows all about ice cream and cupcakes and candy galore. He also knows quite a bid about soda. He has certain preferences when it comes to soda. For example, sometime my husband will mix diet Cherry Pepsi into his Diet Coke. John can instantly detect the difference. He personally has a love of Diet Cherry Dr. Pepper. We get it sometimes as a special treat....nobody else in the house likes it, so it takes a while for little Johnny to make his way through a two liter. So, funny story or terrible story, depending on your take on kids drinking soda...On Thursday, I picked John up from Tiny Tigers. While he was there, I had opened up the Cupcake Shoppe, and gone to do some supply shopping at Costco. While there, I {paid for} and filled up my Copco cup with Costco Diet Coke. So, first thing into the car, (after asking for my iphone), he requests my diet coke. He takes a sip, makes a face, and then says to me, "MOM, WHY DID YOU FILL UP YOUR CUP WITH COSTCO DIET COKE?". I just laughed and asked him how he knew it was from Costco. He said that of course he could tell the difference..."Costco Diet Coke just tastes like Costco Diet Coke, Mom". So here's to my little diet soda connoisseur..at least he know what exercise is now!



And, if you haven't grown too terribly tired of my cupcake escapades, enjoy these pictures. I did a little mock up for a wedding I'm doing this weekend, (slightly terrified to do this) and took some photos to send the bride. The toppers are hers, but the giant cupcake was all my own creation. I made the "liner" out of white chocolate, and then filled it with chocolate cake. It was pretty fun, and turned out pretty well. I took it down to the store to display for the weekend, and got some nice comments on it. I'm hoping it will help to let people know that On A Lark also does weddings. So far, I have three weddings booked and ready to go...I'm hoping it will only grow from there. This was also my first foray into fondant. The pretty little flowers are sweet and oh so easy to make...the perfect combination!





Oh...one more thing...remember in my last post when I said the next thing I needed for my business was a commercial mixer? Well, turns out I was wrong. The next thing my business really needed was an iPad2. Yeah...that was a better choice.

4 comments:

Taylor and Chelsea Cotter said...

I hope that someday my children have the same skills as John! I love it. And the cupcakes look so pretty and soooo yummy.

Team Clark said...

Great stories about John - he's a cutie pie.
And wow - you are amazing with these cupcakes - this is your calling (well, one of them, since you are so good at so many things)!

Annee said...

Darin was really proud to call John his nephew after reading this story.

Your cupcakes really do look so tasty!! Congrats on having three weddings already. Do you guys watch Cake Boss? My kids are way into it. When they heard you had started a cupcake business, they were really annoyed that their mom wasn't more like you :)

April said...

Brooke you did a great job! Hey honestly, if you ever need help I would love to! I have a little extra time on my hands now, and I will especially when all the kiddos are in school this year! You are awesome, we need to get together again, and John needs to come over, p.s. we are moving, sure you heard, still in SLO of course, but new house, new ward, yeah, can we still be friends?! ha know you are busy good luck this weekend!