Thursday, April 2, 2009

Two Things

I learned two new things today....

One: It's possible to fall asleep while standing up. I was in my room this afternoon, folding laundry, talking to John who was standing by the sofa in my room. One minute he was talking, the next he was sleeping....standing up. I guess when your're done, you're done.


Two: When people say boys are tough on clothes, they really mean it. Here's a shot of Joe's shoes from the top:


They look worn in sure, but would you expect to see what I saw when I turned them over?

I'm not a sentimental person. Today I packed up all the boy newborn clothes, (because yes, Jack is already out of them) put them in a bag, and put them in the garage, ready to go to goodwill. I'm not saving any of it - and some of those things have been worn by all five of my sons. But, I think I'm going to save these shoes....to me, they speak something of the joy of childhood....that a boy could literally play so hard and for so long that he actually put holes in his shoes.


Oh, and by the way, have you noticed that John is wearing the same shirt in every picture you've seen him in lately? It's his Oscar the Grouch shirt - it's the only one he'll wear for the past two weeks. I finally went and bought a second one...now we have one to wear, and one to wash...and mama and baby are both happy!

3 comments:

Kiwi said...

I caught Alina is that same unbelievable sleep position a couple months ago. I think the couch is the perfect height for a two year old to just lean over and take a snooze.

Mae said...

That is darling! I love how his little feet are positioned.

My nephew, G, went through a phase where he only wore his Spiderman pajamas. Nana finally had to buy him a couple Spiderman t-shirts so he would wear other things than his PJ's.

Briggs has this ugly, tattered baseball style t-shirt that he adores. But I haven't seen him wear it lately so Kate may have finally thrown it out.

Annee said...

Henry has the exact same shoes as Joe. And while they look exactly the same from the top, I think Joe must be using his as brakes or something. That's cute that you're going to save them.

As for falling asleep standing up, I thought you were going to say one minute you were standing in your room folding the laundry, the next minute you had fallen asleep on the floor or something. At least that's how I feel most afternoons around here, and I have TWO fewer kids than you!

Adios baby boy clothes. Life marches right along.